Wednesday, April 30, 2014

People in history they never teach you about: King Lapu Lapu

I grew up in a black and Filipino household.  My parents married when I was really young.  As a result I grew up with a historical perspective that the majority of my peers were not exposed too.  Half of my family was Filipino, and my grandparents just so happen to be historians who stressed the importance of embracing ones culture.  Almost every gift I received from my grandpa was about history.  

Whether it was "Time lines of African American history" or a book about black men during WWII, he made sure that the encouragement was met with endless amounts of knowledge.  It started at a very young age like 8 or so.  

One of the first books that helped me develop my perspective on history was a children's story about King Lapu Lapu, who is considered the first national hero of the Philippines despite the fact that the Philippines was not a nation in 1521.  

The book took place on the Visayans Island of Mactan which is located within the Philippines.  The focus of the book was  the Battle of Mactan which saw King Lapu Lapu defeat the Great Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan.   My dad talked about King Lapu Lapu with great pride.  He was extremely proud of the fact that King Lapu Lapu defeated the Portuguese explorer.  

Although I am sure that my dad knew all about Magellan, it was not until one day in elementary school when we were talking about Europe and explorers that I learned that Magellan was credited for Circumnavigating the world.  

I noticed that my teachers talked about the Spanish and Portuguese with high regard, while my dad thought they were the worst most evil people at one point in their histories.  My father felt this way  due to the fact that the Spanish were what we consider terrorist today, pillaging, and murdering Indigenous tribes throughout the world; more specifically, Spain colonized the Philippines at one point,.  The Portuguese enslaved Africans, murdered the indigenous people of the land and created a caste system still in place today down in Brazil.  


My teacher made no mention of King Lapu Lapu, nor did he mention the fact that Magellan did not actually finish the expedition he started due to the fact that he was murdered by a group of "indigenous people".  I was confused but it was that day that I learned that school only teaches history from one perspective.  So with that said, I want to introduce some people in history that school does not teach us about. 





No comments:

Post a Comment