Saturday, April 26, 2014

What do we love?

This is very hard for me to talk about, due to the fact that I love and admire, and look up to my family, and friends that have walked down a different path than I.  I have people in my life that never encouraged me, never wanted me to have anything to do with that life.  I use to be mad and feel less than as a result but as I grew older I realized why people in my family involved in the streets no matter how cool they made it look wanted me to have no part of it.

I use to hate not knowing everybody by their street names, but rather by their government names.  I use to hate that my mom would never let me throw up gang signs, and do the handshake haha.  I use to feel left out when people would talk about my family in a way that led me to believe some of my family members were ghetto celebrities.

I remember one family member in particular use to tell me stories, and explain how the streets worked.  Even then it was never him glorifying, it was more like if you grow up in the CD, you have to have some idea of whats going on.

Nobody wants to talk about the fact that we praise characters like this!!!!
No one wants to act like thats a problem.  We have embraced and glorified this life.
 We were suppose to watch these movies and ask how can we make things better. Instead we ask who was harder O Dog, or Nino Brown.
 Im Guilty, very guilty but this is a problem.  If we want to change things, we have to change how we view this lifestyle.  Although there is reality in all of these characters, its a very small part of reality.  These movies do not emphasize the terror these characters cause for the majority of the community.  Kids cant play at parks because of these guys.  Moms, and dads will be strung out, and broke unable to feed their families due to the shit these guys are selling.  We always say that we dont bring drugs into the country.  We always point out that the CIA brought drugs into the hood.  Okay thats right, now ask yourself who is selling those drugs when they get there?  Just because our reality presents drugs, and negativity, that does not mean we have to accept it.    UNTHINK  

No comments:

Post a Comment