Sunday, May 4, 2014

Movement lost

Courtesy of www.thisnext.com
One component of mainstream Hip-Hop that is dead is the Afrocentric ideals that some of the biggest stars embraced during the 80' and 90's.  Afrocentrism was a main component of the orgins of Hip-Hop.

I remember the day my uncle who was a true B-Boy, one of the dopest ever, sent me a Africa.

 The one my uncle sent me had a silver lion in the middle of it.  I remember looking at it everyday and imagining what Africa was like.  I remember being very proud when I got the opportunity to explain what the colors mean.  My Africa was red, black, and green.  Red representing the blood of the people, the green representing the land rich in resources, and the black representing the people.

I was around 8 or 9 when I received this. Although there were many events that encouraged me to learn and embrace Africa, before and after, the fact that it came from my uncle, who was the coolest, dopest person I knew made it a little more special.

Could you imagine the impact of some of our biggest African American stars wearing Africa's today?


No comments:

Post a Comment